Sunday, July 26, 2015

Unpopular Opinions Tag

"my whole life is an unpopular opinion."--me.

I was not tagged by anyone for this. I just saw this tag and I was like "I seriously need to do this before I rant all over the place in other people's comments section." So I'm sorry if I get a little too riled up in this post:


---

A popular book/series you didn't like:

Okay, Olivia, limit your answers

I literally have so many answers for this one like


Divergent -- The series ending completely let me down. Like, Veronica Roth is gonna drag us through three considerably thick books just to end it like that? I honestly felt like that wasn't fair to the readers; I felt like she got lazy and took the easy way out on the ending. Whatever.

Matched -- Ugh, everything about this series was so forced that I couldn't even make it three pages into the second book. This series wins the award for "weakest and most obviously forced love triangle ever".

The Selection -- So shallow that I couldn't even make it through the first book. The Bachelor much? And Kiera Cass literally named the main character America? Ugh, this book--and, in turn, entire series--was a huge no for me.

A popular author you can't seem to get into: 

Please tell me...is there something I'm missing about John Green? Like...? His characters are the same kind as everyone else's...his plots are just told more sarcastically and "indie-like"...is that supposed to make him special or something? It's still the same "oh, two people need each other--AND NOTHING ELSE--to be happy" mindset. So when I hear people say that he's this really new-age amazing author I'm just like


I guess I'm just missing something. I'll never get why people love him so much. But, to each his own.

A love triangle where the protagonist ended up with the person you didn't want them to be with: 

The fact that love triangles even happen at all annoy me. Like what's the point of them? Just more mindless distractions for teenage girls, I guess? Like "wow, such a problem, two boys love me, oh no." Ugh. Love triangles are just so annoying and I'll never get why popular books promote them so much. Even my love, Hunger Games, has a sort-of-ish love triangle, and it's just so unnecessary. So every time I see a love triangle forming in a book, movie, or TV show, I just



A popular genre you hardly read:

Supernatural, witch-craft-y stuff. Heavy romance. Basically anything containing stuff that I shouldn't be filling my head with.

A popular/beloved character you dislike:

I've already said I don't like the Divergent series, but if I'm being honest I didn't like Tris' character either. I mean I don't know if she counts as "beloved", but she is pretty popular and considered "strong", but I feel like she kind of clung to Four a lot??? Like she depended on him a great deal and he was always talking about "protecting her" and she never protested it. I guess there's nothing wrong with someone who cares about you protecting you but it comes up so many times in the series that it makes her seem kinda weak. I don't know, maybe it's just me--it's most likely just me--but I just didn't really respect Tris or think of her as any particularly tough female character. Meh.

same, Emma

A popular series you have no interest in reading:

*you guys are going to shoot me in the back with AK-47s, trust me*

Harry Potter. 


I know, I'm Bush, ew

I know, I know, I'm sorry. But that falls under the witchcraft-y genre for me, and I just can't have that stuff floating around in my head. Plus, there's like, what, seven or eight books? However many, it's too much for me and my weak reading game and I just wouldn't want to keep up with all that. So sorry, not interested. But, hey, the series is on the Books I Have No Intention of Reading list on Goodreads. So I'm not the only one!

A show/movie adaptation you liked better than the book:

I'd have to say The Color Purple movie adaptation is the only one that qualifies here--although I myself have never read the book, I've heard that it's a bit more, ah, graphic than the movie. Which is why I refuse to read the book. So I'll just trust that the movie is better than the book--or, at least, more tolerable.



A popular book/series everyone hates but you love:

I don't even know...I guess a lot of people like to call The Hunger Games "the thinking girl's Twilight" (and sometimes I agree with them. and I am okay with that. and I am not okay with that) so maybe that qualifies...? I don't know.

A popular trope you're tired of reading: 

*guys I so promise I'm not trying to be offensive like no matter how many disclaimers I give it's going to sound offensive but I just want you to know that I'm not trying to be and I love everyone but this is just an observation of mine okay*

White girl. Brown-ish hair. Perfect, although she can't see it. Yay, a boy loves her. Yay, sometimes two boys love her. Oh no, who will she pick? 


*sarcasm*

Sometimes, she saves the world, just with the vague special-ness that exists within her. Yayyy!

I'm sorry, why can't we have a band of girls--white, African, Asian, Indian, Native American, Latina, etc.--who fight and save the world but aren't sexualized or objectified and there's no romantic involvement of any sort? What about promoting self-love before romantic relationships? Has no one really thought of this? And does everyone just mindlessly love these types of books but still claim to promote feminism?? Like???


Sorry I went on a little rant there. It's just that it's 2015 and I feel like we're all still settling for incredibly inferior plot lines.

A popular style of cover you can't stand:

I don't know; I've never really thought about it. I guess those covers with girls' hair blowing in their face randomly, and those ones with like just their eye or mouth. Those are so weird. (I'd find examples but if I'm being honest I've been working on this post for days and image upload and integration is not working in my Blogger post editor for some reason and I just wanted to go ahead and post this.)

---

I know, my unpopular opinions are WAY more unpopular than everyone else's, right? Like, worthy of losing followers over? (Goodness, I hope not.) Did you agree with anything I said? Did you disagree with most of what I said? (The latter is most likely.) Let me know in the comments!

I tag anyone who wants to do this! (As I wasn't officially tagged, I have no specific tagging authority.)

(P.S. did any of you catch that subtle CinemaSins reference I made up there? omg I'm for real trying to start a YouTube fandom what am I)

(P.P.S. if anyone cares I'm listening to The Piano Guys for the first time and OMG WHOA DUDE JUST WHOA)

(P.P.P.S the bad grammar/spelling--as well the sarcasm, sass, and disdain--are strong with this one, so if you catch any error, let me know so I can fix 'em ^^)

☮

37 comments:

  1. The gifs, just yaaaaaaaas my friend. I honestly think the movie adaptations of the divergent books are so awesome, the books are ok just the visuals in the film are way cooler than the ones i picture when I read the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YASSS. yeah, the movie adapts do look good, but I don't want to get caught up again as I know how it will all end :P

      Delete
  2. I loved Divergent and Insurgent, but I absolutely hated Allegiant and I still think it was a cop-out and a slap in the face to her loyal fanbase for Veronica Roth to end the books like that. I totally agree with everything you said about John Green! I read The Fault in our Stars, and it's not BAD, but I don't understand the crazy amount of hype around all of his books. His characters all sounds the same to me and they're all pretentious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES ALLEGIANT WAS A TOTAL COP-OUT. Divergent was awesome and Insurgent was okay (a bit long-winded imo) but Allegiant was not worthy of any trash can in the darkest, dumpiest corner of the earth (beautiful imagery, wasn't it?) Yeah, Green's books aren't terrible (although I still don't appreciate his constant use of profanity) but there is definitely way too much hype around him and his books.

      Delete
  3. I have to say that you're not alone on as much as you may think you are because I agree with nearly everything you said. (Sorry, that sentence probably doesn't make sense) I guess we can have unpopular opinions together!
    I've only read the first Divergent and Hunger Games book but I can understand what you're talking about with that. You're right, somebody needs to write a book about a group of friends from different places (everything you said up there)! That's something I'd definitely be interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sentence made perfect sense! Yay unpopular opinion pals! ^^ Yes, I'd love an international futuristic storytelling; it'd really make my...well...life! :P

      Delete
  4. WHAT HARRY POTTER NOOOOO I LOVE HARRY POTTER But that's okay; I get the witchcraft thing and I know people who use that as an objection to not reading the series.

    I DIDN'T LIKE THE SELECTION EITHER. It was basically America (disliked her name too) bemoaning over who she should choose and I really got tired of people thinking how unique she was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yeah I knew people would be in uproar over that one; it's probably my most unpopular opinion :P

      I KNOW RIGHT. I honestly don't even get the point of the book; it's like an entire series based entirely around a love triangle which is opened up to much more than just three people! One of the most useless series imo, and yes, she was a dull character--she makes Katniss Everdeen look interesting.

      Delete
  5. The Divergent trilogy is one of those where it's just keeps getting worse as the series goes on... I read Matched and thought it was very cookie cutter, and I'm extremely hesitant to read The Selection only because it seems so much like Matched (my grandmother lives for The Selection though. SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD).

    HARRY POTTER? Eh, it's okay. I have to read Miss Penegrine's Home for Peculiar Children because it's on my book competition list this year.... I AM FREAKING OUT. LIKE I DO MY READING AT TEN P.M. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SLEEP.

    MR. JOHN GREEN. His books are okay. The only one I really loved was Paper Towns, only because it touches on a bunch of things that teenagers do ponder about, and I do get his metaphors. That's pretty much how his writing is. That, and he can make some pretty mean couples.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG MORNING YES YOU PUT IT INTO WORDS. Divergent just gets worse and worse until finally, one must make like Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook and just toss the book out the window.

      Yes Matched and The Selection are actually disturbingly similar AND OMG WHAT THAT'S SO WEIRD I'VE GOT AN OVER-60 LADY AT MY CHURCH WHO DIEHARD LOVES THE HUNGER GAMES WHAT IS LIFE

      Yeah, I know my Harry Potter opinion is my most unpopular one, but at least your cool with it ^^ Is that book scary? The cover I've seen on Goodreads is another one of those weird ones but I'm not sure I want to read it or not...

      Um...my friend and I may or may not have sat around the other day making fun of Paper Towns and coming up with mock slogans for the movie...oops...

      Delete
  6. I agree like 1000% with Divergent and John Green. Don't get me wrong, I love John and his YouTube vids, but he's better with words than he is with books. You know? I LOVE what you said about self-love before romance because YES. I don't mind when romance is in it, though. I just think, the heroine should learn to love herself as well. Like in Howl's Moving Castle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay someone who agrees! ^^ Yes, I'd love a self-love book (and not one of those frilly fake ones written by twenty-something bloggers looking to make a fast buck) Yeah, a pinch of romance doesn't hurt I suppose, but like you said, self-love comes first

      Delete
  7. "I'm sorry, why can't we have a band of girls--white, African, Asian, Indian, Native American, Latina, etc.--who fight and save the world but aren't sexualized or objectified and there's no romantic involvement of any sort?"

    PREAAACHH. And like the Divergent + Harry Potter + John Green thingy? Yep, me exactly. I mean there isn't always a need for there to be romantic love in a good movie or book right? So glad I found someone who expressed her thoughts so eloquently on this subject I've been thinking about for a while :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU GIRL YASS so glad to see someone who agrees so fully. yeah, I'm definitely ready for romance to take a backseat for a while. Thank you so much! ^^ I didn't even know I'd expressed myself eloquently at all haha

      Delete
  8. YES TO ALL. I 100000% agree with the Divergent and John Green thing too. Especially hyped by your rant there near the end. THANK YOU FOR PUTTING EVERYTHING INTO WORDS <3 so perf (also these gifs im crying bc i need them)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I never thought anyone would agree with me on all this. also yes I cannot have a rant-y post without lightening it with awesome gifs

      Delete
  9. YES! (Not they've I read John Green or Divergent)! And I HATE witchy-craft, mystical stuff!

    BUT... I read The Selection and I really enjoyed it, even though I hate romance!

    And yes, we really need more different nationalities!

    - www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I cannot get into that witchcraft stuff; I know there are other aspects to the book, but it's kinda like reading Fifty Shades of Grey and going "well, besides the wild inappropriateness that the entire novel is based on, there are some good morals!"

      Yeah, some say they like the Selection, but idk, I just couldn't get into it.

      Thanks for the comment! ^^

      Delete
  10. WHAT SOMEONE SHARES MY OPINIONS I AM AGOG
    I especially agree with the witchcraft, magic-y bit. That's one thing that I have no desire to get into, but with the enormous Harry Potter fandom and all the vampire/werewold/what even books that are being published now, it's so hard to keep out of it. :P
    I kind of laughed at the trope, but in all seriousness I agree with that too. Even though a well-written romance can make a great plot line or even an entire novel, I feel that so many books with romantic books have stuck with the love-is-all-you-need or unpopular-white-girl-meets-popular-white-guy-sparks-chemistry plots. Which is really annoying, especially when you look at Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Little Women, and other classics that have romance but don't show it as the main point of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT SOMEONE SHARES MY OPINIONS I AM AGOG
      Yeah, it's hard to express different opinions on such popular and classic fandoms. But I guess it must be done.
      Don't worry; it was supposed to be funny! Funny and true. Omg those classic books you pulled out are an awesome point; I've read Pride and Prejudice and although Elizabeth (that was her name right??? sorry it's been a bit haha) ends up with Darcy in the end, she always keep her dignity and independence as a woman. I really loved that. That was a really really awesome point

      Delete
  11. THANK YOU.

    JUST,

    THANK YOU.

    (the only one I disagree with is Harry Potter because Hogwarts is my home)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU; THIS COMMENT MAKES ME SO HAPPY EVEN THOUGH IT'S SO SHORT

      (yes I know I guessed most people would disagree on that one but it's okay ^^)

      Delete
  12. This post really brightened up my day - especially the, very fitting, use of gifs.

    I agree with you completely, as regards to Harry Potter. Perhaps I've no right to think in this way; considering that I've not actually expanded on the first chapter that we were made to study in primary school, but the whole concept of wizardry and supernatural type things just bore me. I need a book's setting to be relatively realistic, with characters that you can genuinely relate to and can be influenced by. As loved as Harry himself seems to be, I don't see flying on a broomstick as being something worth realistically aspiring towards. That's just me, I suppose.

    You're too correct on the "popular trope you're tired of reading". Books can make such a significant impact on young women, and so it is important that they are taught to be able to be self sufficient and independent, rather than continuously having the idea that they need a man to survive being drilled within their heads. As innocent as these plots are supposed to be, it is too misogynistic for my liking.

    Kate x
    www.theteenaspect.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm not attacking you or anyone's beliefs or whatever they choose to like and dislike, but I'd just like to say that us potterheads don't read Harry Potter because of the broomsticks. Believe me, if I could, I would play Quidditch, but I speak on behalf of all potterheads that there are some amazing messages about love, friendship, bravery and determination, and those are the Potter qualities we strive towards. There's a sense of home in the books, and we relate not to the magic but to the situations, relationships, and the ultimate battle of good versus evil we can find in any good story.

      Delete
    2. @Kate I definitely agree; I feel like wizardry can be another one of those "easy way out" things--as well as very hard to keep up with, at least for a small-minded person like myself

      Yes, I hate that girls are being trained to depend on "men", and at such young ages as well. We need some good strong women to march in and show girls how life is actually supposed to be. Who knows, maybe we'll be that generation :)

      @Oakstar Yes, I know (and I think Kate knows as well) that HP isn't just about wizardry, but it certainly is a large part of the series, and that's simply something I have a problem with

      Delete
  13. thanks olivia. now i know for SURE that i'm not the only one when everyone else looks at me like i'm going nuts. ^_^ Honestly, I'm so with you on the Harry Potter. I've never picked up the book, because to me, that's just a stay-away book. I've never read it, and "ohyeahi'mpositiveit'ssucha'good'bookbutyannowhatistayawayfromthatkindastuff". sorry.
    UGH SERIOUSLY PREACH IT GIRL. I love whites and Americans and they're a beautiful people, but umm...what happened to different races banding together? And oh yeah - sorry to burst your bubble - but um...not every girl in this world needs a boy to be loved. Yeah, i just said that. First off, I mean, Jesus loves everyone. But even so, you can love yourself too, It's a thing, believe it or not (I'm not talking to you, O, just in general) ^_^
    But I agree with you, so, so, so much.
    See? You're opinions ain't THAT unpopular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad I could make you see that! ^^ Yeah, HP was something I was just never interested in either; I just never knew so many people agreed with me on that ^^

      Yes! You get what I'm saying! No discrimination against anyone; instead, just include everyone! Yeah, I know it was aimed at society :P I had to make a big rant-y post myself in the past about the way girls are trained these days; it's just disgusting. You're so right; the most important thing is that Jesus loves everyone (even if no everyone agrees with Him or even the idea of Him) and that's what we need to remember.

      Hahaha, I guess you're right!

      Delete
  14. I agree with you on a lot of these. Like, I don't mind John Green, but I don't love him either? As a brown (or should I say caramel? idek) girl, I would like to see less white characters. Also a book with no falling in love. And love triangles? Not realistic, in my experience. I actually didn't mind the matched series when I read them a few years ago. I want a book where the girl doesn't fall in love or need a boy, you know? And also, I am so sick of the 'fall in love with best friend/boy next door' trope. However, I disagree about your choice about Harry Potter. I really do love it a lot. I believe the books are truly excellent. I am a Christian, but I don't think these books contradict that. There is sacrifice and deep love conquering evil. There is friendship and learning and struggles and even a scene where the peter figure cuts off somebody's ear. This isn't witchcraft to me; like narnia, magic is something deep and unexplainable and fully conquered by love. Anyway, nice post! http://weavingwaveswords.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I'm glad you do! Yasss brown girls unite; I'm ready to see more of us represented in literature as beautiful, strong, independent people. Yeah, I'm super sick of love triangles too. Yessss the best friend love thing is super over done as well; like can we just stick to the story please and stop pausing for the "friends since birth" to swap "meaningful glances"? This is true, but I feel like Narnia and the Harry Potter worlds were completely different; C.S. Lewis specified that his books were a representation of our relationship with God while J.K. Rowling's books are about...um...well I don't know exactly haha but I still feel like they're very different. But of course everyone has their own opinions; wouldn't it be boring if we all thought alike? Thank you so much for your nice compliments! ^^

      Delete
  15. THANK YOU.

    TRIS IS GAH, she gets on my nerves.

    ~Noor
    (the only one I'd have to disagree with you on is Harry Potter :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, I ALWAYS ENJOY ALL CAPS COMMENTS

      THAT IS THE PERFECT, THREE WORD DESCRIPTION OF HER

      (yes, many disagree with me on that one, but I'm not surprised :P)

      Delete
  16. THANK YOU. This is such an accurate post!

    The only thing that I don't agree with is Harry Potter. I'm a huge fan, although typically I'm not big into the whole magic/wizards/etc thing. Yes, Harry Potter involves witchcraft, but it's not the point of the book. My favorite part of them is just the beautiful relationships between the characters, non-romantically. So yeah. Just putting that out there:)

    xoxo
    Grace Anne
    http://totallygraced.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yes, that is true, the point of the book isn't wizardry and witchcraft, but it's still a big problem for me--even if a book has only a smidge of that, it still makes me wary.

      Thank you for your comment though! ^^

      Delete
  17. I'm the same with Harry Potter, I just can't get into it. Also can we just look at the Bush GIF again, look at how he just went total ninja duck on the boot.

    Chloee
    sparkofm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, someone who agrees with me! ^^ Hahaha, my fave is the guy next to him who tried to reach out and knock it away, and also the guys in the audience who basically just yanked the assailant of his feet. Like, they basically did the job of the Secret Service better than the Secret Service did.

      Delete
  18. Oh. my. stars. I about lost it when I read the popular trope you hate. PREACH!! XD we as readers aren't stupid, you know. No matter how much you try to disguise it we can see beneath your "original plot"!!!! Sorry, sorry. I'll stand down now. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, right?! They always try to bring in these "coming-of-age" stories and then they all end up being about the same thing -_- :P

      Delete