Monday, August 17, 2015

Back to School, as Told by Michael Scott

Stores: Parents, pick up stuff for all the kids with our half-off back to school sale!

Me:



Hi-ho everyone!

While all the other bloggers are being their extra-cute and positive selves by sharing their back to school DIYs and encouraging words to get you through this year, I am here to balance it out by reminding you of the long, dark, and fiery trek ahead of you. Otherwise known as the American school year. (For most, anyway.)


Everyone's got that first day of school. Back in kindergarten, it was the most exciting thing ever--the super nice teachers (well, sometimes); the big, new cafeteria (though Lord help the poor souls that tasted that food for the first time); the litter of kids all your own age (many of which you were sick of before the first hour was up) But it was still very enjoyable. Through the rest of elementary school, it wasn't as exciting, but you were still excited to meet your new teacher, sit at your new desk, and enjoy your new grade level as once again you chided the lower grades for being so immature and unenlightened.


By middle school, you'd hit that emo/dark-ish/general "I-know-everything-so-for-the-love-of-the-emo-trinity-just-leave-me-alone" stage. You wished everyone would stop acting like middle school was such a big leap for you--"Ooh, separate classes, eh? Can ya handle it?"--and, for you fellow homeschoolers out there, wished to death that those same old people would stop going "Oh, you're still doing that homeschool thing, are you? When will you start going to real school?"


And then, high school. First of all, it was nothing like Disney Channel said it would be. Second of all, it didn't feel much different than middle school--until the semester flipped and suddenly stuff got real. You're dealing with a bunch of different classes, which you're not only trying to pass, but also get extra credit for in order to look good to colleges. And then, when the little girly cliques come to you with petty drama, it's all you can do to just



But you have other problems, like those comments from adults about how big you're getting--"You're so tall!" "What grade are you in now?" "So, do you have any special someones yet? *adolescent giggle*" And then there's the demands of the world around you: your parents want you to be more responsible, your friends want you to hang out more, your preferred colleges want you to study more, and your body wants you to sleep more, and you're just working your very very hardest--and then the school sends out that report card and you just



And then. For those blessed, poor souls who made it to college. It is the best of times (mostly just those two moments when you receive the acceptance letter and when you receive your diploma) and it is the worst of times (mainly every other second besides). High school was a laugh. It was a joke. It was a catered, moonlit ride down that one river in Amsterdam from The Fault in Our Stars. Every honors class you took, every extra credit project you conjured up, every pointless club meeting you attended is nothing compared to the bare minimum expected from your professors. And that schedule...what creature on earth has a sleeping pattern that coincides with those class times? Oh, and let's not even glance at any bills--student loans, car payments, regular funds for food and clothing, etc.--or else we'll just



Ah. Such a happy outlook on the rest of the school year now, right? I know that sobbing Michael Scott gif gets me in a good mood.

But don't worry; I'm just kidding. All of this is coming from a girl who's been homeschooled the past five years of her life--I can't pretend to know anything about the public middle/high school life. And I certainly can't even begin to fathom the pains--and joys--of college life.

And so, I salute you. I salute you, third graders racing into a bright and brand-new school year. I salute you, sixth graders, marching diligently into The Black Parade. I certainly salute you, high schoolers, preparing your altars to sacrifice your siblings for that A-. And I hold my hand over my heart and sing the National Anthem (the one by Lana Del Rey, not the actual national anthem--that'd be silly, wouldn't it?) in honor of you, college students, who'd trade away both kidneys for a solid eight hours of sleep. I salute you all.

(P.S. OMGOMGOMG THANK YOUUU GUYSSS SO MUCHHH FOR 70 FOLLOWERS! YAYAYAYAY THANK YOUUU okay I will stop screaming and fangirling and go cinch up all this giveaway stuff as a thanks ^^)

41 comments:

  1. *aggressively starts building altar* I salute you too. Good luck this year. xD
    AND CONGRATS ON THE 70 FOLLOWERS YOU DESERVE EVERY ONE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *aggressively donates altar-building supplies* Thanks. AND THANK YOUUU SO MUCHHH ♥

      Delete
  2. Well, for me, high school is High School Musical but with all of the drama in the book Wonder amplified times ten and thrown into the mix, so it's weird... Eh, life's good no matter what. :)

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, lucky, that still sounds like a good experience! ^^

      Delete
  3. OH MY LORD.
    I don't start school until September 8th *Hallelujah!* and everyone else starts, like next week...
    Anyway. I'm going into 8th grade at a nerd school where I only have 199 fellow students. The teachers expect a lot from you, at least at my school. And I still have dance every night of the week...

    Congrats on 70 followers!

    xx
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! (that's actually just when my giveaway ends, so literally perfect timing) Nerd school sounds awesome because, in the greater picture, no one really is a "nerd" there, are they? It was like me in my gifted class; no one could be left out be cause we were the people who were usually left out.

      That sounds super busy though. Good luck! *Mockingjay salue*

      And thank you so much! ^^

      Delete
  4. OK LIFE IS Knowing

    also congrats on the 70 followers

    http://hottowncoolgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. For real tho...I'm going to highschool this year. Cant. Wait.

    Mishs Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *dry voice* yay :P

      Haha, jk, I'm sure it's gonna be awesome ^^

      Delete
  6. Hooray. I get to go to 7th grade. Where all the worst teachers are. yay. But this post :')

    CONGRATS ON 70 FOLLOWERS! *throws confetti*

    ~Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! I miss seventh grade. Depending on what type of classes you're taking, it can be really awesome (aside from grumpy teachers...blech.) Haha, thanks!

      AND THANK YOU SO MUCH. CONGRATS TO YOU ON 100! *throws confetti back*

      Delete
  7. Michael Scott gives me life.
    and these gifs.
    and you.
    XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yasss.
      Yassss
      Ya--oh, really? Haha, well, thank you! ^^

      Delete
  8. Why. Why?! Did you just do this?! *sobs hysterically in a corner*
    But then, I'm actually pretty excited for college to start. Since I'll be fresh out of homeschool, I'm hoping for at least a little bit of some excitement.. :) I missed your blog and posts and SO glad to be able to finally follow you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sobs with you*
      Haha, yeah I bet it's gonna be awesome ^^ I've always thought that the transition from homeschool into college would be pretty fun...until the work starts *ominous music* :P

      Aw, thank you so much! ^^ Glad you got everything all sorted out; can't wait to see new posts from you! ^^

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on 70 followers and here's to 70 more! Those gifs are hilarious, and this post definitely made my day. The schooling system works a little differently in my country than most others, where we don't get the summer off and our school year starts in January and ends in late November. So I'm still in school waiting to get out *sobs*

    La'bell || labellwong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! *raises glass (of apple juice)* Hahaha, thank you so much! Your comment made my day! ^^ Wow, that does sound strange! But you'll make it :) Until then...*sobs with you*

      Delete
  10. This was a really good post, I can tell I'm gonna like your blog!

    Rukiya XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you so much! ^^ I hope you do like it here *starts singing "I think I'm gonna like it here" from Annie* :P

      Delete
  11. I'm about to embark on the final year of high school, and would already be quite tempted to trade in both of my kidneys in exchange for a solid sleeping schedule.

    A very humorous post!

    Kate x
    www.theteenaspect.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! *salutes, sings anthem, and offers plate of cookies* You've certainly got a journey ahead of you. But then, I'm sure you'll take it all in stride.

      (my sleep schedule started teetering in eighth grade, and now I'm pretty sure I'll never get the right amount of sleep again)

      Haha, thanks! ^^

      Delete
  12. SO GLAD FOR YOU!! you deserve all 70 followers and i'm so honoured and proud to be part of this journey of yours :)

    also, i love this post. it's the best (with all those michael scott gifs, especially heehee). xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! ^^ I'm honored that you're honored (that sounded a bit silly but it's true! ^^)

      Haha, thank you--I had a good time tracking down Michael's reactions :P

      Delete
  13. ohhh my goodness, yes. So so true!

    ReplyDelete
  14. god i can relate to this too well, i was more than happy to see the back end of high school! x
    natasha // eyebrows, inc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can't wait until I can say that! (Although that means...adulthood *curls up into tiny ball under covers* :P)

      Delete
  15. THIS POST IS THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your gifs so much haha! They brighten my day every time.
    What a well written and very shall we say EDUCATED post on the matter of school, especially coming from a homeschooler. You got it right on the nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you! Haha, I just took what little bit I learned from public school at a young age, mixed with stories from former classmates and seasoned Tumblr users and tried to make as educated a post as possible. I'm glad I got it so accurately! ^^

      Delete
  17. This was such a fun read, I'm starting college after taking some time out and I'm dreading what it's going to do to my sleep schedule and basically having no money for anything ever. That's for making me be able to laugh about it at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Oooh yes, those are my concerns too--my sleeping patterns are already way bad, and I have a feeling that it's just going to get worse. And money...ugh. I alreayd cry about it now. I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm an actual adult. *salutes* God bless you

      (also, you're welcome! if you don't laugh, you cry, right? hahaha...haha...ha...*wailing* :P)

      Delete
  18. Haha I love this post! I'm out of school now, but you summed it up well with those gifs.
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks! ^^ Lucky! I'm glad I got it all right, considering I've been under my little rock for so long :P

      Delete
  19. WHAT. HOW IS THIS SO PERFECT. I, too, am a homeschooler (the INTENSELY SHELTERED KIND, be scared) so I don't know what any of these school-ish experiences are like, but reading your witty dictations here make me very, very, very grateful to my parents for not putting me through the torture. THESE GIFS WERE PERFECT TOO OMG. You've got me cracking up, girl. What a style. ♥ gah!

    love,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT. LIKE I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT WAS PERFECT. Yay, intensely sheltered homeschoolers unite! *fist bump* Yessss, I'm so glad I pulled out of public school when I did, otherwise I don't think I would've made it. THANK YOU SO MUCH OMG. Hahaha, thank you so much! This comment made me genuinely smile so much ^^

      Delete
  20. Ahhh yesss I remember the days of no-homework-homeschooling (now I have regular schoolwork and homework *cry*) Yeah, school can be rather bittersweet :P Thank you so much! ^^

    ReplyDelete