Saturday, June 6, 2015

we're only distractions because you teach us to be

Alright. I've resisted this topic. Ran from it. Covered my ears. But it's time I put in my one-fifths of a cent (my opinion matters so little that I can't even say "my two cents" because it matters even less than that). So let's start this rant!

First on the agenda:


Sweetie, no. This is not what "teens" are. Maybe the messy room and time online isn't that insane--although not all teens spend most of their time online, and you can't use being a teenager as an excuse for a messy room. 



BUT THE "PRIVATE THINGS" ON YOUR PHONE?! Sweetie, NO! What the heck is that supposed to mean, anyway? Inappropriate photos? Inappropriate texts? Listen, I'm of the mind where if you're under your parents' roof and they're paying for your phone service, nothing on "your phone" is private--because it's not really your phone, is it? Your parents are paying for it, so anything on your phone should be known to them. My mom does sporadic checks of my phone, and obviously I'm not like those gross girls who have gross stuff on their phone, so I've got nothing to hide. But I feel like all parents should do that with their kids--if some people would just open their eyes and be a little smarter, a lot of problems and "secrets" would be resolved.

And the "crazy about one person" part. Who is this one person--Jesus? Why does this image assume that all teenage girls have crushes? Maybe some of us just chill and don't worry about boys. Maybe some of us rarely leave the house to begin with and so humans, let alone human males around our own age, aren't on our radar. Did you ever think of that?

*sucks in breath for next rant*

Okay, so, I'm on the American Eagle website, right? Looking for some swimsuits because mine is waaay too small and I'm supposed to be going to a water park this month with my cousins. And I discover that AE finally sells one-pieces. So I find a cute one (which I'd still have to wear with a full-body cover up--why do people always cut the backs out of clothes?) and I'm about to select size and everything when I read the "product description": "Happily single? Suit yourself!"

Alright. Okay. So maybe it's supposed to be a cute play on words (suit yourself, get it?) But...what does being single have to do with it? Am I supposed to be wearing a swimsuit in order to attract boys? And not to, you know, swim? I mean...? And then schools want to blast girls with dress codes, telling us that we're distracting. But...isn't that what you're teaching us to be?

"Hey, life is just boys boys boys boys boys and you have to start getting their attention at like age three and make sure you show this and reveal that and oh yeah hahaha let me teach you how to dance provocatively it's so funny and cute and it gets boys' attention because don't forget boys are the only thing that'll ever be important your life and blah blah blah--but, oh, actually tuck that away and cover your ARM and your SHOULDER because obviously that's what the boys are looking at and ew stop being inappropriate sheesh what IS it with kids today--but hey, we're only gonna sell clothes that will make you 'distract' boys and they'll also be really expensive. Okay?"

No. We shouldn't have to put up with that. I shouldn't have to even be writing this post (yeah I don't have to write it but I am so).

But it's all so frustrating! I mean look at this:


*screams* *pulls hair* *runs through house waving hands*

WHAT. EVEN. And this was found under the search "beautiful quotes for girls" on Google. Really? This is supposed to be beautiful? This is depressing and upsetting. Yeah, of course I don't think I'm beautiful. But the day I do, it's not going to be motivated by a boy. It's going to be motivated by God--and all the years He's already said I'm beautiful. I'm so angry that the world is teaching girls to only measure themselves by what boys say or think about them. 

So let me say this:

1. YOU'RE GORGEOUS AND NO ONE ON THIS PLANET, NOT EVEN YOU, IS CORRECT IN SAYING THAT YOU'RE NOT. I don't care if I've never seen your face. I don't care if I don't know your personality or your flaws or the worst thing you've ever done. None of that matters. And EVERYONE'S gorgeous; girls aren't the only ones who need to hear this. Everyone is, in their own way, and to their own person--and to God--beautiful. And I don't want to hear any arguments. *shouts random gibberish over your self-degradation*

2. You're not just a distraction, and your life isn't about impressing the opposite gender. In fact, some parts aren't even about you--your life's about Jesus, and repaying what He did to save you. You can never fully repay it, but you can thank Him every day by doing what you know He'd want you to. And I highly doubt that obsessing over boys and centering your whole life around boys is what He wants you to do. I could be wrong, but I strongly doubt it (for once).

3. Whenever anyone tries to degrade you, condescend to you, or insult you because you're a female, just be like "...um, no. I'm better than that." Because you are.

And remember:

(photo not mine; just added words and design)
So...yeah. Rant finally over.

So do you agree with what I said? What did you think of my post? What are your views on how girls how taught to act? Do you think there's anything we can do about it? Comment below!

(Sidebar: finally posted again on my review blog after five months what even)

31 comments:

  1. WOW. I love this SO, SO much. Girls, and people in general, need to realize that you need to feel good about yourself, whether you're single or not, and society is NOT making this an easy thing to do. And Google? Seriously. What is going on with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, people need to feel good enough, on their own. I know, Google is really irking me!

      Delete
  2. WOW WOW WOW WOW. This is so amazing. Thank you so much for this. You are beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. PREACH THIS GIRLY. I hate how society has downsized a teenage girl's worth and tries to mess up our vision. Like, we won't feel beautiful unless a guy comes into our life? REALLY? Yeah, the guy is going to make us feel special more so, but we all ready are beautiful. SOMEONE TELL SOCIETY TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN ABOUT PHILOSOPHY OR SOMETHING. Girls are more than a collection of labels and stereotypes.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. People try to alienate us and make us out to be less than others but they need to realize that we are humans too and are just as good as guys are, single or not. It scares me how ignorant the world can be.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful, awesome post Olivia. Thanks for putting your thoughts out there. (And, just saying, your opinion is most definitely worth more than two cents. Also your posts are a lot of fun.)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This is one of those comments that really motivate me to keep blogging :)

      Delete
  5. YES YES YES. Thank you for this post! There are no words to explain how much I agree with this ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. *drops mic* DAMNNNN. THIS IS TOO GOOD. Oh my thank you. I'vebeen trying to tell everyone who'll listen: GIRLS ARE NOT DEFINED BY BOYS. Those images you put up are generalising teen girls so much. Like ?? Our lives don't revolve around relationships or boys, did they think of that? A girl should be able to feel beautiful and drop-dead gorgeous because it is TRUE, not because a guy said so! But apparently nowadays, admitting that you have a high self-esteem or acknowledging your beauty is practically taboo, which makes me very sad. Beautiful post is beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you! Yes, so many people are teaching girls to live their lives according to boys that girls start to believe it. We need to stop that cycle.

      Thank you so much! ^^

      Delete
  7. SOMEONE FINALLY SAID IT. THANK YOU.

    In this generation now I would be labeled: weird, not normal and awkward. I agree with my awkwardness but "not normal"? What does that mean? Does normal mean that paint my nails and go shopping like "normal teens"? Sure then but I don't think so. Normal is just a word to hurt somebody. I agree with everything you said, Olivia. I believe that every female and every male is beautiful (or handsome) ;)

    "A female doesn't need a man to chase her dreams."

    Beautiful, beautiful post, <3
    june | www.the-impossible.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU GIRL.

      People want teenage girls to be boy-obsessive and shallow. I feel like it's this generation's job to prove that we're not.

      Love that quote! ♥

      Delete
  8. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    THIS POST IS THE BEST THING EVER. E.V.E.R. You go, girl :)
    I agree with everything you said on this post, and the fact that you even brought Jesus into it made it a thousand times better. Girls don't need guys to make their life better. Sure, perhaps at the right time and age a godly relationship could happen, but that doesn't need to define somone's life. God made us, and we are HIS. Like Jo said, girls are NOT defined by boys. Uh-uh. No way. We are our own person, and apparently it's against the law to say that now? HUH? Society, what is up with you?

    REALLY GOOGLE? To be honest, I'm really shocked that a picture like that is even out there. Wow.

    But anyways, excuse me while I go share this on my G+ page....This is too good to go by unnoticed :)

    Good job and beautiful, amazing post <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you so much! Yes, a lot of people get close to giving girls the right message, but without Jesus there's really no point.

      Yessss that picture disgusts and saddens me and that worst part is waay too many girls believe it. It angers me actually.

      I saw that you shared it and so I thank you again! ^^

      Delete
  9. This is so, so true. Thanks for putting your heart out there.

    I love what you said in #2: "Your life's about Jesus, and repaying what He did to save you. You can never fully repay it, but you can thank Him every day by doing what you know He'd want you to."

    Thanks for spreading God's word. Your post is truly beautiful.

    MaryShelley
    http://thereidwhowrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love putting the truth in my posts :)

      Delete
  10. OH. MY. GOODNESS. So incredibly true! This really REALLY needed to be said (and heard). I've seen so many quotes like that. When you said "And the "crazy about one person" part. Who is this one person--Jesus?" I wanted to give you a virtual high five right then and there. :) All my friends are so obsessive over boys. I'm not saying "liking" someone is bad or anything but if girls are totally consumed by boy craziness then that's another story. I agree with every single word in your post. Thanks so much for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you! Yeah, every time someone tries to talk to me about boys, I always say "the only male I'm in love with is Jesus" to shut them down. Of course, you can't control your feelings for someone, but it's what you do with the feelings. Thank you so much! ^^

      Delete
  11. AMEN! This is such a great post. I see so many of my friends getting all aggressive over guys these days. LIKE REALLY? I will admit that I "like" a few guys, but I keep that to myself and don't obsess over them because I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY LIFE. We've got years until we can even get married, so until God sends that special someone we need to focus on JESUS. Thank you so much for writing this, Olivia! It needed to be said.

    Micaela // Note & Rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, now is the time for obsessing over God's word, not boys. Thank YOU for your nice comment! ^^

      Delete
  12. I read this on my kindle when you first posted it and wanted to comment so bad! Wow, Olivia! So wonderfully written and you voiced my own thoughts exactly. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I love your new design so far!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! ^^ And thanks, I'm trying to tweak it and get it just right :)

      Delete
  13. THANK YOU. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. You have just posted something that has been on my mind for far too long, and you worded it much more eloquently than I've ever been able to.
    OUR WORTH DOES NOT COME FROM BOYS. OUR LIVES DO NOT REVOLVE AROUND BOYS. WE DON'T NEED BOYS TO MAKE US FEEL BEAUTIFUL. K? K. 95% of the time, I don't consider myself "beautiful". But ya know what? I sure don't need a boy to tell me that to believe it. Girls have got to stop thinking that they're only going to be "perfect" by showing every bit of skin and getting a boy to like them. Sweetie, if he likes you because you're showing your cleavage, he's the wrong kind of boy for you!! Ugh. This really makes me angry, if you can't tell ;)
    Anyways, thank you so much for posting this. And Olivia, you don't believe it, but you are VERY beautiful:)
    xoxo
    Grace Anne
    http://totallygraced.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I love this comment! I've always told my friends that it's okay if I'm physically under-developed because I wouldn't anyone liking my only for my body, anyway.

      Thank you so much! You are beautiful too ♥

      Delete
  14. I DONT KNOW HOW I MISSED THIS POST BUT YES YES YES. YES TO ALL. THIS IS THE BEST THING. PREACH IT WOMAN.
    ps. you are so sosososoososososo beautiful. like really super beautiful. like really. promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH and also thank you again (outside of all caps haha) You are beautiful too, as shown by this super nice comment ♥

      Delete
  15. This is GOOD. This is REALLY good. Preach it, sister!

    ReplyDelete