Monday, June 2, 2014

Hounding Questions--Day 1

I've decided to start this thing (and, yes I know, whenever I say that I've "started this thing", it barely lasts a week. But did I ask you all that?) where I ask...myself...questions...wow, this sounds really sad, actually. Like, I'm asking myself questions. Basically interviewing...myself. Hmm. Will this be the 300th time if I say that I need to get a life? Yeah, thought so. Anyway, I'm going to do it, because I have nothing better to do! (as usual) Each day, I'll ask a question. And I'll answer it. You know, the more I explain this idea, the less I like it. Whatever. I'm going to do it. First question:

Why can't you keep up with writing? Don't you like it anymore? Yeah, it's just...look, if I could get paid to be a procrastinator, I would be a millionaire right now. And I'm only 13. But the truth is that I just procrastinate way too much. 

I've tried setting up a certain amount of time each day to do free writing but, just like every other self-made life-structure-thingy I try, it just sort of faded away and I stopped doing it. And...I don't know, I also feel really discouraged too. Like, when I write stuff, I always think ahead to when it's finished and it's a real book, sitting in a bookstore one day. (I know, silly ridiculous dreams...I try not to imagine it too much, because it's a waste of time, but I just can't help myself.) But I know that literally everything that could ever be written has already been written, published, and read. Who cares what I have to say, anyway? 

I was reading through my aunt's 2014 Poet's Market book, looking at some of the writing contests for this year, and I considered entering. But then I thought about how people of all ages could enter, so how could an amateur 13-year-old who's pretty uncommitted to writing win a contest with adults? And, even if it was for kids or teens only, there's always gonna be someone better than me. Always. I can't win. (No, seriously, it's true. I can't win. Games, contests, sweepstakes, you name it. I can't win. I think it has something to do with my body's chemical components or something.)

Aaaaaanyway...got way off track there...what was I even saying in the first place? Oh, yeah, writing. Yeah, sort of gave up on it. Maybe I will write, maybe I won't. Who cares anymore, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment