Sunday, June 8, 2014

Letter to Myself in Six Years

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Hello, Six-Years-in-the-Future-Me,

You're probably about twenty now, right? Well, if you aren't, you're going to be turning it real soon. I'm turning fourteen next month. Funny thing is, you probably already know how that day went. But I don't. Weird, huh?

Speaking of birthdays, how did my eighteenth birthday go? Did I have a wild party? Probably not. I probably just sat in my pajamas and made myself cupcakes and threw ripped up pieces of paper over my head and sang "Happy Birthday to Me!" I bet that's what I did, didn't I? Yeah, I know myself too well.

I bet you're more mature now, right? I bet you're looking at this and laughing your head off. I hope you're more mature now. And happier, too. I hope you're okay with how you look and how you act and the people you've surrounded yourself with. I hope you laugh at the awkward moments and don't give one hoot about what other people think about you. Because there's nothing worse than being an unhappy, insecure, lonely 20-year-old. This is supposed to be your prime, girl! Live it up! (With, you know, limits and everything.)

Have you published any writing? Have you won any writing contests? I hope so. That would be cool. I wish I could do stuff like that right now, but I think I should get more confidence in myself first. I hope you still have a blog (hopefully a new one though) where you write about your life (which is hopefully more exciting than mine currently is).

Speaking of your life, what are you doing these days? Do you still sit around on your laptop, eating junk food and, occasionally, looking in the mirror and bursting into tears? Goodness, I hope not. I hope you've got good friends and a nice little daily routine worked out and that you're learning a lot of life lessons--and hopefully not the hard way, either. You've had enough hard life lessons so far, I think.

And about that little "daily routine" I mentioned--you're not so lazy anymore, right? I hope you've been working out for a while now and aren't such a weakling anymore. There's nothing wrong with being small, but it does start to get just a little embarrassing when you have to ask someone younger than you to open a water bottle. I also hope that you've got a good study method going, and that you're getting good grades in college. Oh, and I hope you've got a job that keeps you on your feet. I hope you're buying what you need, like food and gas, and not what you want, like that cute pair of coral skinny jeans at the mall (yeah, don't act all innocent, I know you too well, remember?).

Ooh, and the most important thing: you've got a great relationship with God, right? You talk to Him daily, read His word, and don't feel the least bit ashamed about sharing what He's done for you. And, if you're anything like what I'm hoping you are, then He has done a lot for you, hasn't He?

Well, I should probably go now. You might not know this, but it's a little after midnight right now. I just got this strange inspiration to write this letter--like the words I needed to say just started springing up in my head and I had to write them down. Does that happen to you anymore? Yeah, probably, because a born writer just has that kind of weird stuff going on.

Anyway, like I said before, I hope you're happy--and I don't mean the temporary kind of happy; I mean the kind where you can step back and look at your life and say "this right here is good". And you might not be able to say that for a few more years and that's okay. I hope, eventually, and with God's help, you'll find true joy and freedom. I know I sound like someone's grandmother but I really mean it. You need to be joyful and free. You don't need a lot of heavy, unnecessary crap hanging on your back. Jesus said it a lot better than I just did:

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:29-30)

So make sure you do that. Let go of all of Satan's crap and just give it to God and chill. Give yourself a break. Because, if you've been treating yourself the same way that I am now, then you need one.

Yeah...that's all I have to say. You take care of yourself. And go study or go to sleep, because one of those two things is probably what you're supposed to be doing right now, right? Mmm-hmm, thought so. Say hi to your friends now for me. Maybe even show them this letter. You could even write a new one right now, and read it in another six years...that'd be cool. So yeah...goodbye!

O Williams

(For all my readers out there, I got the idea to do this from Rcubed. Thanks for the idea!)

No comments:

Post a Comment